Earlier this year, Heather Goldstone of NPR’s WCAI radio The Point, spoke with Peter Neilley, director of weather forecasting science at The Weather Company. Their conversation was wide-ranging and covered a variety of topics including:
- The rapid improvement of forecasting over the last decade,
- The rise of supercomputers with the ability to make projections beyond just a weather forecast,
- New and improved satellites with the ability to penetrate all levels of the atmosphere for better forecast data,
- Being more strategic when using forecasts to improve our lives, and
- The correlation between forecasting and climate science and more.
We found this interview compelling as it covered a range of hot topics at ForecastWatch and among our clients – using historical weather data to make sound business decisions, climate change, big data modeling and analytics and more. We thought you might find it interesting as well. Have a listen!